Friday, February 7, 2014

Interview with Missy S. -A Mom that Wouldn't Give Up On Finding Her Daughter's Happiness (Pup-Cake the Service Dog)



Don't you just love those heart-warming stories and photos of kids and their Bully [Breed]? Well this interview takes it to a whole other level! 

Admit it.. this is the most adorable picture ever!
Meet Abcde and Pup-cake, they are not only the best of friends but Pup-cake is the door way to Abcde's independence, happiness and pride. Who is this Pup-Cake you ask? 
<---THIS is Pup-Cake! Pup-Cake is Abcde's Staffordshire Bull Terrier Service Dog! She has good taste in dogs! 

Lets get on with this interview already! It may be on the long side but is SURE worth it to read! 








Interview with Missy S. -A Mom that Wouldn't Give Up on Finding Her Daughter's Happiness 

Q: How old was Abcde when you decided she needed a Service Dog?
"It was not a sudden moment where the Service Dog decision came to thought. We were well aware early on that Abcde was going to not only be a challenge to us, but to herself as well. I started my research early in regards to EVERY POSSIBLE form of assistance for my daughter. I felt the best thing that I could do for my daughter was to be armed with as much knowledge as possible. I suppose that was my way of coping with our reality."
Q: What made you decide to train a SD for Abcde? "When I noticed that my daughter was a danger to herself due to her various issues I knew something had to be done. I realized early on that I simply was not going to be able to meet all of her needs. She refused human assistance and contact and was slowly becoming unreachable altogether. From early on animals had always been drawn to her and vice versa, so I decided to use that for her benefit." Q: What are some of the things Pup-Cake helps Abcde with during the day? Pups work is varied and vast. She ensures Abcdes safety by: -interrupting self injurious behaviors -blocking her from entering dangerous situations -guide work -Re-directive work -Sensory -Alerts to Stemming behavior -Counterbalance work  Q: What made you choose a Staffordshire Bull Terrier? Have you had this breed in the past?
"Service dog interview : the series
The L.R.'s Thought this husky would work! However they
say that this furry came in... Walked over to Abcde...
Took one look and sniff...then proceeded to stand
at the door and howl until someone came and
put it back in its cage! So rude!"
-Pup-Cake the Service Dog

I always laugh when I am asked this question. My husband and I did not choose a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. The reality is; Pup-Cake and Abcde chose each other. As a family we had taken Abcde to “interview” upwards of 100 potential Service Dogs. While the animal’s were drawn to Abcde, she made NO connection with any of them. Because of this we were beginning to consider that this may not be the right path for her. That is when Julie Marie Miller [founder of Bull Nannies] reached out to us through Face Book. As a family friend who understood our frustration she suggested the American Bull Terrier as a solution. We were skeptical however desperate to be able to connect with our daughter. Two meet and greets with an American Bull Terrier had come and gone…..nothing. We decided that we would give it one more shot, we scheduled a meet and greet and that is when it happened. The deal was made, pup would cry when not in the arms of my daughter and vice versa. It was THIS day that we saw her first genuine smile. An emotion she never seemed to be worthy of until that moment. Q: Does Pup-Cake go to school with Abcde? On days that she struggles, yes she does. However there are days where she does not. These are the days that she is encourage to attain Human interaction and intervention to remedy her problems. Q: Since Abcde has had a SD, what are some of the changes you have seen in her? To answer this briefly is impossible. However to do so I will simply say that Abcde has 
sense of independence, pride and freedom. All things we were told she would never have.
Q: Does your friends and family support Abcde having Pup-cake? Our close friends are beyond supportive of the journey Abcde and Pup-cake are traveling. Q: How long did Pup-cakes training take? Pup-cakes foundation training for service took about two years. While she could have been placed into service sooner, I decided to wait. It was VITAL that she has a VAST array of commands and was able to focus and maintain her desire to work and perform her tasks. Abcdes safety and mental health would depend on it so I left nothing to chance.
Q: What was the most challenging part of training Pup-Cake?
I would have to say that the biggest challenge we had when training pup cake was the fact that she LOVES people. While she would be eager to listen she would be even MORE eager to greet each and every person that passed by.
Q: Do you get a lot of people coming up to Pup-Cake and trying to pet her in stores? We receive our fair share I must say. Q: Is there anything else you would like us to know? I am too tired to think of anything!


Picture time!





"When we go out and I am placed in a down stay my girl takes that opportunity to decompress while resting with me. While I do get anxious when I can't see her this works for us perfectly. As soon as she moves I know and am ready in an instant to alert my leash racks and guide my girl to where she needs to be!"
-Pup-Cake

"My girl tells the best jokes!"
-Pup-Cake
"The things I do for my girl....
My girl has autism and various other issues (many I have not mentioned) however when she put this stupid bow on my head she provided me with an opportunity. The opportunity to help her not be a little girl with autism, but to simply be ...a little girl."


Want to see more of Pup-Cake and Abcde? Well, of course you do.. why wouldn't you want to?
"Like" them on Facebook!
---> https://www.facebook.com/PupcakePitBullServiceDog




3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. Pup-Cake is amazing and the bond between Pup and Abcde is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you training another dog for her when it's time for pupcake to retire? I see Shorti Rossi is training a new SD for himself because his dog is 8. I imagine it will be difficult for Abcde to bond as well with a new SD. She seems very happy and calmer with pup. I love to see the bond between these two. They are both so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved this thanks for sharing Tater and Amaya

    ReplyDelete

Pages