Wednesday, February 26, 2014

"My Dog Doesn't Need to be on a Leash"


"My Dog Doesn't Need to be on a Leash"

Has anyone else heard that before? I have!

I will often see someone walking their Golden Retriever or Labrador Retriever off leash or just letting them run around the yard with no fence or tether.

No discrimination here but those are the only breeds of dogs I have seen in this situation.
Just last summer I was walking Tater (my now 16 month old rescued Pit Bull) around the block. As we turn the corner I see a mother and son in their yard with their 3 Goldens (1 Senior 2 Adults) and a friend with her son standing and talking in their yard with their probably 2-3 year old Yellow Lab.

We came up to the house and the Labrador goes BANANAS! I mean lunging, jumping, barking at my Pit Bull that walks by like nothings going on. Then the 3 Goldens charge into the street to go up to Tater. Please note that we are walking on the opposite side of the street. One Golden knocks her child down and the owner has time to grab his collar while the other two are sprinting to us and almost got hit by a car that's coming. No one was hurt but it was just a crazy situation... that the owner could have prevented by being responsible. The thing is, is that these dogs are REALLY well trained, I have seen them training but ANYTHING could happen.. anything and no, she did not learn from her mistakes.. they were out in the front yard the next day.

When you don't have your dog on a leash while walking you aren't in control, AT ALL. My friend was walking her 2 pitties (Rocky & Manders) and a dog came up and attacked them both.. I believe that it was a stray dog too. A guy came out and continued to hit Rocky & Manders on the head with a baby gate which gave them some pretty bad injuries, thankfully they are going to be okay. Rocky and Manders were on leash so at least their Mom had SOME control.. but she was not in control of the other dog which was of course not her fault.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am also going to cover this video/ story that has gone viral..
"Cop Shoots Man's Service Dog During His Sons 9 Year Old Birthday Party."
Video/ Story here: --> http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/02/11/horrifying-video-cop-shoots-mans-service-dog-during-his-9-year-old-sons-birthday-party/

I am not on the owners "side" or cops "side" but did anyone else see that the dogs ran into the middle of the street a couple of times? Am I the only one that had their heart drop into their stomach when they ran into the street?

I just do not understand WHY people leave their dogs out in the yard unattended and "free".. ESPECIALLY A SERVICE DOG that your life could DEPEND on!!! In Taters SD application for the SD Org. makes us sign where it says "Do you understand you can NEVER leave him/her unattended outside?".

I know for a FACT that if the owner would have either crated his dogs during the birthday party, put them in a room, or actually have been a RESPONSIBLE owner and not let them run free.. this would have NEVER happened. There are LAWS about this people! There are LAWS for a reason! They are there to keep YOU, YOUR DOG, AND EVERYONE ELSE ***SAFE***!!!!

I do not think shooting the dog was the way to go but truthfully I would have had NO clue what to do in that situation.. I would have probably shot the ground to startle the dogs but I would not have shot the dog. I think cops should be equipped with dog repellent.. it is a safer and better alternative than shooting a dog.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Worried about running into a stray dog?

Here are a few tips:
        Dog Repellent sold on Amazon.com for $10.50. Purchase here: http://www.amazon.com/Petsafe-Sprayshield-Animal-Deterrent-Spray/dp/B0009YSB9O/ref=sr_1_2?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1393472091&sr=1-2&keywords=dog+repellent

Here is one attachable to your keychain:
http://www.amazon.com/SprayShield-Animal-Deterrent-Spray-Belt/dp/B0002XKIV6/ref=pd_bxgy_petsupplies_img_z

    Pet Parade- a little hand held remote that puts off a piercing ultrasonic tone dogs HATE and humans can't hear! Sold on Amazon.com for $6.57. Purchase here: http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Parade-Dog-Repeller-Training/dp/B000E8O4UA/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1393472091&sr=1-1&keywords=dog+repellent




Please comment below how you feel about this topic!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages